FALAFEL INSPIRED SOUP

This Soup is the ultimate comfort Food.On a cold night when you dont want to plan elaborate meals but still need something fulfilling,warm and comforting...this is it.I gave it the name "Falafel Soup" because it has all the ingredients of the lebanese dish Falafel..hence the name.

















Ingredients
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil,
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans chickpeas (Kabuli Chana), drained
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin,
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup plain yogurt
Warm pita, any flavor or variety, toasted

Directions1.Heat a medium pot with extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat.
2.Add garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
3.Grind the chickpeas and onion in food processor.
4.Add to pot and cook 5 minutes to sweeten onion.
5.Season the chickpeas with cumin, cardamom, turmeric, salt and pepper.
6.Stir in stock, then tomatoes.
7.Simmer soup 5 to 10 minutes to combine flavors.
8.Serve with a dollop of yogurt and warm pita for dipping.


I was not able to find Fresh Pita in the grocery stores so I made Garlic Bread instead.Also If you don't find a can of Fire roasted tomatoes you can put some fresh tomatoes under the broiler and when the skin of the tomatoes burn take them out and put them in a Ziplock bag which makes it easier to remove the skin from tomatoes.Once they are cooled enough remove the skin and puree the tomatoes.They taste exactly same.



This goes to Usha for her event Healthy Inspirations  and


















to Rachel for her Event My Legume Love Affair and to Susan who is the creator of the MLLA event.

I will also want to share my recipe with Lisa for her No Croutons Required Event and Deb from Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper(Soup,Salad  & Sammie) Event. and with Nithu from Nithu's Kitchen for her event CWF-LB:Chickpeas and  with Kiran

5 comments:

Dolly said...

I know...u r soup expert

Usha said...

Very unique kind of soup, sounds healthy and yum !

Rachel said...

Thanks for sending this over to My Legume Love Affair. I think I could go for a bowl of this soon with all the snow and cold winds outside.

Lisa Turner said...

Wonderful creation. Sounds perfect. Thanks so much for submitting this soup to our event.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Your recipe sounds so interesting, can't wait to try it out. However would it possible if I make it in a soup maker, if so, can you please help me with what changes I can add.

ShareThis