ROASTED VEGETABLES


Roasting Vegetables brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables and intensifies their natural flavors.For diet-conscious folks, roasted vegetables add wonderful flavors to dishes without a lot of fat and calories. Roasted veggies like garlic, potatoes, and carrots can also work wonders as fat substitutes in recipes for mashed potatoes, sauces, cream soups, and casseroles.
This recipe of roasted vegetables is Indian style.The ingredients used for marinating the vegetables are typical Indian spices and the end result is wonderful.


Ingredients
1 medium sized red potato (you can also use baking potatoes or any other kind,although red potatoes are healthy) -chopped in medium size pieces
1 red bell pepper-chopped in medium size pieces
1 yellow bell pepper-chopped in medium size pieces
1/2 green bell pepper-chopped in medium size pieces
1 carrot-chopped in medium size pieces (or you can take 5-6 baby carrots)
1/2 Zucchini -chopped in medium size pieces
tofu/paneer(optional)

For Marinate
1 cup plain(non flavored) yogurt
1 tsp vegetable oil/olive oil
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp pav bhaji masala
1/2 tsp coriander powder

Directions
1.Line a cookie sheet or baking sheet with aluminium foil (for ease of cleaning ...you know me...love to cook,hate to clean).
2.The first vegetable to marinate and roast should be vegetables like potato,carrots,pumpkins and beets.
3.Mix the ingredients for marinate in a deep bowl and marinate the potato and carrot pieces for 30 minutes.
4.In this time period wash,scrub and cut the other vegetables in desired size.
5.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
6.Take the potatoes and carrots out of marinate (keeping them as dry as possible) and spread them on baking tray and let them cook.
7.It will take approximately 35-40 mintutes for them to cook and become tender.
8.Meanwhile mix all other vegetables and tofu/paneer in the marinade and let them stand by.
9.After the potatoes and carrots have been in oven for 20 minutes,change sides using a spatula or a spoon and then spread the other vegetables.
10.Let all the vegetables roast for another 25 minutes.
11.When all the vegetables are cooked and tender,take them out of the oven.
12.Season with chaat masala (optional ) and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.

Another good marinade for roasted vegetables is
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt
ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried thyme leaves

Roasted vegetables can be served with Naan,Roti etc.Leftovers can be used for sandwich fillings,pita bread fillings or even as toppings on a pizza.Yummo!!!
'njoy!!!
Sending this to girlichef for her TWO for TUESDAYS event.

12 comments:

Vanashri said...

waah....mooh mein paani aa gaya!!!!!!!!!

Jeena said...

looks yummy....

Pooja said...

healthy and yummy!!!

Heather S-G said...

I competely agree, Deepti...roasting veggies brings out that earthy, delicious flavor that is just so comforting to me! I love that you toss in some paneer and all of these amazing spices...this must taste beyond delicious! I'm so happy that you joined in with Two for Tuesdays this week and I hope to see you back often! Lovely =) ~Heather

Bonnie said...

I love roasted vegetables and I love Indian food although I have not cooked much of it. The spices are not easy to find in my area. I will try this recipe. Thanks for broadening my horizons.

Bethany said...

I love roasted veggies - but usually I'm pretty boring and just put a little olive oil and salt and pepper on them. This recipe sounds really wonderful though and I think I'll have to try doing them this way next time. Thanks for sharing this recipe at our Two for Tuesdays blog hop!

Christy said...

I love roasted veggies - and I love Indian food - a perfect pairing - a great addition to Two for Tuesdays Blog Hop - thanks!

Hunger and Thirst said...

Roasted veggies are always so elegant. Thanks for bringing your spice to the Two for Tuesdays blog hop.

Alex@amoderatelife said...

Deepti! So glad you posted on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! I love finding new foodie blogs and am following yours! I adore roasted vegetables and I also adore indian food as my uncle through marriage is from Dehli and so we share a lot of great recipes with him! I saw the paneer in the veggies and smiled! one of my favorite things! So much better than tofu! Looking forward to getting to know you better through your blog! Alex@amoderatelife

Deepti Sidana said...

Heather,
Thank you so much for giving me such a wonderful welcome.I am also glad you liked the entry.Looking forward to more interactions with you.
Take Care

Deepti Sidana said...

Bonnie,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and I am so happy you liked the recipe.
I can help you find a good store in your area so that you can really try the recipes.Hope to keep the interaction going.

Deepti Sidana said...

Christy,
Welcome to my blog.This is the first time I joined Two for tuesdays and I am loving every minute of it.

ShareThis