CHAI MASALA POWDER

Bernard-Paul Heroux said "There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea." That is so so true.
The Indian word for Tea is "Chai" although in west it is more often referred as "Chai-Tea".I had to remind many friends and acquaintances ,that chai & tea refer to the same thing but alas.......you cannot correct everyone.Ask any Indian what Chai is to them.....For some it is drink to start your day fresh,for some others it is a much needed drink to give that drive away the mid day lethargy.For some others it is a way to meet new people,and for others it is to catch up with old friends.
Chai from India is a spiced milk tea that has become increasingly popular throughout the world. It is generally made up of:
• rich black tea
• milk
• a combination of various spices
• a sweetener

The spices are varied.....cardamom,ginger powder,cinnamon,cloves,black pepper etc.Chai Masalas are available in stores and believe me they make a marked difference in the taste of tea ,which has no spices.
Before I had purchased a coffee grinder,I used to buy the chai masala,but I always had the feeling that it lost it taste after some time even if I kept it in air tight conatiner.But then my coffee grinder is god send.Now I make the chai masala at home,once a month.That's what make it special!!!

INGREDIENTS
1 black cardamom pod
Seeds from 25 green cardamom pods
4 cloves
1/2 tea spoon fennel seeds (saunf)
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon carom seeds(ajwain) - Optional
1 tea spoon dried, ground ginger powder(saunth)
1 tea spoon ground cinnamon powder

DIRECTIONS
1.Simple.....Put all the ingredients in a coffee grinder or if you have a magic bullet and grind the ingredients to a coarse texture.For 2 cups of tea you can use 1/4 tsp or more according to your taste.
'njoy!!!

5 comments:

mita said...

Thanks a lot for sharing the chai masala, I never like chai without masala...

Richa said...

Please do collect your award from my blog....

Unknown said...

Wow, got a great blog here. Glad I visited. Please do visit my blog as well, you may like.

http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/

Meena said...

lovely chai ka masala...thnx for the comment on my space...will be back soon to check out more yummy recipes!

Sumathi said...

Just was browsing landed in your blog.. You have a great blog..
Thanks for sharing this recipe..

ShareThis