MALAI KOFTA

Georges Blanc once said "Happy and successful cooking doesn't rely only on know-how; it comes from the heart, makes great demands on the palate and needs enthusiasm and a deep love of food to bring it to life.”
This is a saying very close to my heart and the people who are close to me,know that I would cook on   any given day but good things come out only when my heart is in it.Now many of you must be thinking what does it have to do with Malai Kofta? Well the first time I tried making malai kofta was my Husband's first birthday after marriage.I did not have a first hand experience till then,had not seen any one make it and I think to be honest I tried to accomplish too much that day.Soo the final result was OK,my husband was impressed but I was not happy.It is only after 6 years did I have the heart to make it again.The special occasion was our anniversary.This time I am really impressed(If I can say so myself).

                     For those of you who are not aware of what a kofta is please see this.Malai Kofta is a rich and delicious side dish for special occasions.It goes well with Naans,Parathas or even Jeera rice.It is a vegetarian alternative for meatballs.
Ingredients
For the Koftas
1 1/2 lb. potatoes
2 heaped tbsp each of crumbled paneer,khoya and thick malai(You can substitute this with baked ricotta cheese and heavy cream)
4-5 cashew nuts finely chopped
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
tsp warm milk(for soaking the saffron)
Few strands of Saffron(optional)
Salt To Taste
3 tbsp cooking oil/ghee(clarified butter)
Oil for frying the koftas
For The Gravy
Gravy Masala
1 tblsp cashews (soaked in warm water overnight)
2 tblsp plain yogurt


Directions
1.Boil the potatoes till tender.
2.Peel and mash the potatoes and add salt according to taste.
3.Keep aside.
4.Mix the crumbled paneer,ricotta cheese and heavy cream,cardamom powder,cashews,salt(to taste),saffron threads (mixed with milk).
5.Make rounds of the potato dough and place a little of the prepared mixture in the center of each round.
6.Seal the edges and shape into stuffed rounds. Deep fry each kofta till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
7.Make the masala for the gravy as mentioned in the link above.
8.Make a paste of cashew(which has been soaked overnight,if you are all out of cashews you can use almonds)
9.Once you add the cashew paste to the gravy let it cook for few minutes,remembering to stir the gravy so that the cashew paste does not stick to the bottom.
10.The gravy will begin to change its color.Then add the plain yogurt.In this recipe I am using plain yogurt instead of cream.If you want you can use heavy whipping cream or even fat free sour cream.
11.If the gravy is too thick add water and let the gravy boil.
12.Put the kofta's in the hot gravy when you are ready to serve.
13.Garnish with finely cut cilantro or kasuri methi and serve with Naan or Hot Chapati
'njoy!!!
This goes to Reeni from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice for her Event Side Dish Showdown.Also sharing it with Divya from Dil Se for her event Show me Your Curry

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, those colors are soooooooooooo beautiful. I love the filling color inside, lovely pics.

Deepti Sidana said...

Priya,
The look and feel of the filling inside malai kofta does make a lot of difference.My MIL used to make malai kofta without saffron,but I thought why not give it a dimension....hence the saffron.

Reeni said...

How positively delicious! I love the filling inside too! Thanks for sending them to the Side Dish Showdown!

Deepti Sidana said...

Thanks Reeni.
Good luck with your event.

Dori said...

Looks amazing!

Deepti Sidana said...

Thanks Meeso

ShareThis