HAP'S FAMOUS BANANA WALNUT BREAD

When you hear or read the word "Bread",the image that pops up is a loaf of bread...for me it is sandwich bread.Banana bread is a bread that contains mashed yellow Bananas.The difference in the baking technique of a Banana bread and any other loaf of bread is that in Banana Bread the leavening agent is Baking Soda instead of Yeast.
             There are many versions of Banana Bread available.Some us sour cream,some use eggs,some don't.Some recipes use brown sugar and egg whites.I tried many recipes but none came up to par.Then last summer my sister-in-law baked her special Banana Bread and ....you had to see it to believe it.My DH was fighting everyone else for every single slice.It was so moist & ......(wait guys my mouth is watering).I baked a batch of this wonderful banana bread ,as a "Thank You" gift for the wonderful staff at Tanvir's pediatrician's and it was an instant hit.
   In case you are wondering what does "Hap's" mean.....that's my sister-in-laws  sweet small name.She is known to everyone as Harpreet.The credit of this recipe goes to her.


Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: about 55 minutes

INGREDIENTS(for 2 loaves)

3 Ripe Bananas (the riper, the moister the bread!)
2 Eggs
1.5 cups Flour
1 tsp of Flour(for Walnuts)
4 oz. Butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1.5 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (optional)
Pinch of Salt
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
Additional Butter for baking dish

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degree Faranheit.
1.Sift flour,cinnamon powder and baking soda together and reserve.
2.Roughly chop the walnuts and roll them in 1 tsp of flour.This ensures that the walnuts don't sink to the bottom when you mix them in the batter.

3. In another bowl, stir sugar, eggs, vanilla, and butter until they are mixed well.
4..Incorporate flour, and stir until smooth.
5.Mush bananas with a fork and stir into batter.
6.Then add nuts and stir well.(Reserve few walnuts for sprinkling on top)
7. Butter two loaf pans (or other baking dish if you don't have a loaf pan) and pour in batter.
8.Sprinkle the reserved walnuts on the top of the batter.
9.Bake for about 55 minutes.Start checking the bread for doneness after 45 minutes.This is becuase the baking time varies from one oven to another.The banana bread is baked when the tip of a knife or toothpick comes out clean and dry.
10.Let cool off for about ten minutes and then remove from baking dish. You can serve this warm or room temperature.
'njoy!!!

This was my Entry for the cooking event Fruits,hosted by the orkut community IHM.


TIPS:-
1.The same batter can be used to make choclate chip banana bread.Just mix Choclate chips instead of walnuts.
2.The same batter can be used to make banana muffins.Send those as treats to your kids school or as Food gifts.
3.Prepared Banana bread freezes well,(if by any chance you have any left,which I seriously doubt).So when you are next making a loaf, just make some more, pack it tight and freeze it. Afterwards you can use it anytime you decide. It makes a great hostess present to take along when you're invited to somebody’s house.

7 comments:

Sneha said...

wow...banana bread....loooveee anything made with banana...

Anonymous said...

i once tried baking this bread, but just couldn't get myself to bake i as I don't like bananas.. :) Looks delicious though!

Usha Rao
IHM

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe....Came out good...

Deepa

Unknown said...

Excellent recipe Deepti!

I have tried many banana bread recipe but this has come out so moist, fluffy and soft.

I made only two changes to the recipe, replaced eggs with apple sauce and replaced half of the white sugar with brown one.

The bread is ultimate, just had first piece of it. :)

Thank you!

Kavita from IHM

Unknown said...

Hey Deepti!

I added your recipe link in my facebook status and orkut status... I hope you won't mind.

I thought my all friends should know about this recipe. If any problem let me know... I will remove the link.

Kuhu said...

Hi Deepti,

This recipe is amazing!!!
I just took out the banana bread from the oven...I couldn't wait to let it cool down and dig my spoon into it....super yummy!!!


Kuhu
IHM

Harpreet said...

I made this yesterday and it was really yummy. I don't like bananas but I really enjoyed eating this one.
I thought that I have enough walnuts in the pantry, but they smelled stale. So, I had to bake it without them.
I made one addition though. The batter seemed to be thick, so I added little bit of milk, may be quarter of a cup.
And this recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Harpreet

ShareThis